Who You Creepin'?

Friday, June 26, 2009

..."He said one day you will see, his place in world history"...

I too want to say a few things because, as is the case with everyone's blog, whether they know it or not, I want to make sure my feelings get equal billing and I also want to ensure I have something for the HIStory books. Get it?

If you were to ask me who were the most influential/my most appreciated groups and/or solo acts that I have listened to - AND/OR - which bands/solo artists have shaped my opinions and feelings about music the most, this is what my list would look like:
1. The Beatles
2. Michael Jackson
3. Oasis
4. Juliana Hatfield
5. Madonna

I listen to other music.... Smashing Pumpkins probably has more airplay in the jukebox of my life than #'s 4 or 5, but they didn't really influence me as much. Now that I've qualified a few things, I am going to push aside all apprehension and speak about Mike.

There is no question that growing up in my era, (b. 1977-present) you couldn't escape Michael for your first 15 years of life. The firsts are many: I believe that my first real exposure to Paul McCartney was through the Michael...my first MEGA-ALBUM was when Thriller came out...The first MEGA-VIDEO was when Thriller came out. My personal excitement for the release of an album was unmatched when it came to HIStory in the Summer of 1995. I made a special trek to the mall on the release day to meet Trav to buy the CD on it's day of release.

All of those were musical firsts for me...all of those were landmarks, and the dude simply was the best. It's pretty incredible that he died so quickly, so early...

Now, on to his death, and the OTHER part of his life. I personally do not care how he died. I understand it's interesting that he may have overdosed on a variety of drugs, but I personally don't care. I also think people are in real murky waters when they start to talk about 100% of Michael's life.

As I see it, there are 2 sides to every celebrity. I use the word "Celebrity" loosely, but I do mean someone who I know simply b/c I see them on TV and/or on the Internet. Celebrities carry 2 sides, personal and public. The personal side is the one that, if given the choice, they would not have you know about that side. It doesn't always need to be dark, it could be they like kittens and valentine's day...it could be they molest children. The public one is the side that they choose to show to us, and for what they are (technically) famous for.

Michael's public persona is the one I am choosing to pay attention to. I don't have interest in the other one, and I am starting to take a really rigid stand that, as a rule, I don't care about celebrities personal lives, pretty much at all. There are weird blurred lines, like Reality TV "stars", but that's an easy one for me - If all, every single, Reality TV star disappeared, I'd be completely fine.

For those out there who are choosing to talk about Micheal as a complete person, and remember him that way, you are steering yourself in the direction that I know I personally don't want to go down. His personal indiscretions are fairly overwhelming, from a numerical standpoint. He did things in his life we all would shudder at...

But, I don't care about those things, because they aren't factoring into my decision on how I feel about Michael, they are literally non-factors. The factors that matter to me are:
> Remembering how many times I listened to Stranger in Moscow on repeat in the summer of 95.
> Thinking back about how much of an "event" it was when the video for Black and White was released.
> Trying to think about what Human Nature was written about, and what he thought about when he sang it, cuz it sounded like he cared a great deal in that song.
> Being excited driving back from Norwood when I was broke and Raybo burnt me a copy of Invincible.
> Hearing Blood on the Dance Floor about 4 years ago and thinking, "Is this Michael's best song, and I had never paid any attention to it?"
> Thinking that it was awesome that he released Dangerous in 1991, and it took 10 more years to do Invincible...what if his next double platinum album was in 2011?!?!?

My point is that reprehensible things are reprehensible. Disgusting choices made by adults technically should be met with punity, but there is nothing written that says I am responsible for cross-referencing my gut reaction to someone's music, as an example, against a list of possible transgressions in their personal life.

I am so grateful that I am being motivated to go out and listen to more Michael music, and that I hopefully will continue to do that. I am saddened about the press coverage and how quickly it has turned into a fiasco, but I have no clue why I thought it would end up differently. I don't care that he died of an overdose, I only care that he died, and so soon on the heels of my complete "hands thrown up in the air" moment about music.

Top 5 people who I won't ever talk to words on Michael's death I want to hear/read the most:
5. Janet Jackson
4. Tina Fey * But this is only b/c she seemingly was in love with him from her Tweets.
3. Howard Stern
2. Madonna
1. Cameron Crowe

No comments: