Who You Creepin'?

Thursday, December 10, 2009

...Coach James...

It has been too long since I posted anything on this blog, and I don't think this new post is going to the start of some big major re-birth of my involvement. However, I do think that I have realized, based on ESPN.Com's article that quotes Shaq in saying that Lebron's BBall IQ is amazingly high, that Lebron could be the coach of the Cavaliers right now.

I don't think that Lebron could coach the Celtics, Lakers, Suns, Bulls, Pistons, anyone else, but I do think he can coach this Cavs team, as a player. This is not a new concept, Bill Russell won championships as player/coach, at least 1. Some of the best baseball and basketball players in the history of man had double duties.

The Cavs are a team whose roster doesn't need a ton of messing with. There isn't going to be a 4 or 5 player shift come the offseason. This is the squad that is going to win or lose it, with 1 or 2 exceptions. Danny Ferry can take care of the personnel decisions, but I do think that Lebron could be their leader.

It is no secret that I think Mike Brown may be one of the least educated coaches in basketball, I cannot wait til the playoffs when his poor decision making costs the Cavs game after game. The Cavs are lacking here.

I can't take myself away from Lebron a few years ago against the Pistons when Lebron scored 29 of the last 30 points (in a conference championship game!!) and led the Cavs to a crazy (i think on the road) victory in overtime against a very strong Pistons squad. It was basketball at its best, and it was strategy at its most simple. Give the best player the ball, and make the opposing team stop him. Go at the basket, pass when it makes sense...but Score. Score Score Score.

Mike Brown has no real coaching philosophy. He simply demands that Lebron invent at all times, but with the mirage that he is part of a program, an organization bigger than him. It's a mirage. The PGA is going to see what life is really like without Tiger this year, and the Cavs are going to have to realize, at some point, what life is like without Lebron.

Unless they give him complete control.

It is the next step, I'd say its the logical step, and its something I would love to see, if only to increase the mythology of who I think is the most talented athlete on the planet.

No comments: