Who You Creepin'?

Friday, August 14, 2009

...Hired...

I haven't written anything because I've been on "vacation" for the week, but a bit of news.

I was hired this week to work at New Balance, starting on 8/31, as Integrated Marketing Associate - Channel Marketing. I will break that down, from back to front.

Channel Marketing means I am working on a specific "channel" of business. imagine New Balance's product being sold in a few distinct categories. The way they break it down, so far as I can tell are in 4 Channels:
1. Sporting Goods - Dick's, Sports Authority, etc
2. Own Retail - This basically means New Balance Stores - There is on in Burlington, I think one in Plymouth, etc.
3. Athletic Specialty - The mall accounts you may visit, Champs, Foot Locker, Finish Line, etc.
4. Shoe Chains & Dept. Stores - DSW, Famous Footwear, Shoe Carnival, Sears, Kohl's, etc.

I will be working on the last Channel, Shoe Chains & Dept. Stores. I did work with these accounts in my previous jobs with adidas and Reebok, so I am def. not completely unfamiliar with the territory. The term "Integrated Marketing Associate" in this case means I am working in a group of 4, and I work for the Integrated Marketing Manager, who oversees all 4 of the channels above.

Integrated Marketing really is self explanatory, it's essentially all forms of Marketing that help push your product at retail. My task obviously is to sell as much New Balance product at retail as possible, within my specific channel. I will be tasked to bring creative and innovative Marketing ideas to the accounts, and make sure the accounts are comfortable and confident with our brand - enough to continue to bring in new products, try new initiatives, and essentially make New Balance as successful as possible.

Personally, I honestly couldn't be more excited about this job, and this brand, in particular. There are a few reasons why this is so incredible:

1. I have been trying to work for New Balance for years, including an interview 3 years ago and another set of phone interviews last year, for a few different roles.
2. The HQ is about 8 or 9 miles from my house, it is so easy for me to get to. I can bike there if needed, and I can go home for lunch if there is a circumstance that requires me to do so. The idea of how close it is really makes me feel like it was sorta meant to be, although I don't believe in meant to be.
3. My resume continues to grow within the industry. I guess the best way to look at it is to think about your job, and your company. Imagine if you had the ability or, better put, the luck, to work for 3 of the top 5 brands within that industry. You'd feel pretty confident, no?

While I felt like I was good at my last job, and I loved it for the most part, it was highly likely that elevating my career and moving forward within my Division and my role was going to be highly unlikely. I was laid off in January, received a generous severance, lived on Unemployment for a few weeks, and then this popped up. Stress Gone. Success.

No comments: