Who You Creepin'?

Monday, January 18, 2010

...Running up the score...

The Cowboys need to shut their mouths.  I don't have the level of passionate dislike for the Dallas Cowboys that I probably should have. I don't really like them, and I can't see a redeeming quality of Jerry Jones aside from the fact that he really wants to win, and does everything he can to achieve that, but I don't hate them.

 

Yesterday, however, I started to really dislike their attitude towards the end of the game, mostly surrounding the whining going on around running up the score.  First of all, at the Pro level, when your team is paid billions to perform duties, you cannot complain if you lose by a lot of points, and the other team continues to score. You can't. It's not poor sportsmanship, there is simply too much on the line for the winning side, just overperform, overinput, overscore.

 

In the case of the Cowboys/Vikings game, the Vikings had the game in hand late in the 4th.  The Cowboys took issue with the Vikings scoring a passing TD inside the 2:00 warning to go up 34-3 instead of 27-3.  I always find it funny when the team that is losing is still trying to score, yet they expect the team that is winning to stop trying to score.

 

The only instance I feel where it is right, and this is not even across the board 100%, to be angry about "running up the score" Is when you, as a the losing side, take a knee b/c you are simply overwhelmed by the pounding you're getting (which has never happened, as far as I know), and the winning side would continue to score at will.  That circumstance would put me on the side of the losing team – there is no need to score.


But the Cowboys, down 27-3, were in shotgun mode with 5 or 6 minutes left. So say they score, and its 27-10…then they kick an onside and get it and score, and it's 27-17 with 2 or 3 minutes left.  Are the Vikings supposed to still sit on the ball and take a knee?  So the cowboys can continue to be in shotgun, pass every down, and the Vikings are supposed to take a knee?

 

I never get it, I never will, and the Cowboys need to shut their mouths.


And there is one other thing, Norv Turner and Wade Phillips are constantly blessed with talented rosters – they are the types of coaches that always get put on teams with fantastic players, and lead those players to absolutely nowhere. I can't stand the thought of them being rewarded for their failures over and over, and that the entire NFL watching world knows those 2 guys are bad coaches, yet they stick around, year after year.  

No comments: