Who You Creepin'?

Sunday, March 29, 2009

College Basketball

I am not a fan of College Basketball. I used to love it so much, especially when I was at UMass...and I just loved going to every game and following the team, the Conference, and NCAA overall.

I loved picking brackets, talking to people about who the All-Americans should be and what made this particular season better than that particular season. It was awesome.

Over the past 4 or 5 years, however, I have started to really find college basketball to be very dull. Here are the reasons why I just don't really care about college hoops:

1. My main reason is that it is, simply put, a lower form of basketball. Pro Basketball is readily available most days of the week, and given that its 12 man rosters, and 30 teams, you know you are seeing one of the top 360 players in the world play. For college, the rosters are 12 men, but there are literally hundreds of D1 teams - the players aren't as good. I don't understand why this logic doesn't translate to WNBA ball, where the players are not as tall and not as good, but they certainly dive on the floor and are as frantic as college players, there is no question about that.

2. I do not buy the "there is more passion in college than pro" argument. I don't buy it at all. As almost a rule, with a few exceptions, the only players that are worth watching treat their Freshman seasons with as much blase and indifference as Pros do in a contract year. I think what people mistake as "passion" is really just an athletic person compensating for mental and physical mistakes.

You may see harder dives to the court for a loose ball in college - you may even see a defender chase a man down court even faster - but my argument is that pro players lose control of the ball, their bodies, their defensive positioning and offensive mentality at a rate so distinctly different than college players, and it looks like they are lazier, when they are simply more in control.

3. This is by far my weakest argument, but I cannot stand how teams change their uniforms every single season. I look at the UConn of today and I think, "what are these idiots wearing?!" Even Michigan State who is on right now, why that long white stripe down the side? What is wrong with a green uniform? Georgetown too...

I know the reason, I mean, when you have a team like Memphis and your #1 selling jersey last year was Derrick Rose, and he is gone now, why not change to a new look on the uniform? This may be at first about my disdain for uniform changes, but aside from the head coach, there is no reason, aside from alma maters, to like or dislike a team. The personnel changes so significantly every year.

I have more thoughts, but they aren't articulate enough. not that these were.

No comments: