Who You Creepin'?

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

...Game 1, Orlando v. Cleveland

I am not going to do this as a running thing during games, it happens to be the end of the 3rd quarter now when I start, but I am not interested in the second-guessing and unreliable predictions that come along with trying to post mid-game.

Here are some thoughts, though:

Anderson Varejao: Would I go so far as to say he is unwatchable? No, I wouldn't. However, I do sit here and think of a guy like Ainge and wonder, does he, or any GM, really want to sign this guy? He cheats, first of all, and I realize that isn't viewed as a negative by GM's, this isn't ultimate, you can cheat and win and its okay, its encouraged actually. But more than that, he is not someone who seems to have a real grasp on what he is, and who he is. I KNOW he is going to go into this offseason put off by the offer of a mid-level exemption in contract talks. I swear, I can tell by the look on his face when he shoots free throws that he thinks he deserves 6-8 million, and he'll get it. Someone out there is watching thinking, "I can't wait to spend 6 million per year for 6 years on him!" Good riddance, you're horrible. I cannot wait for you to realize a life of zero relevance.

Cleveland, as a unit: This team, aside from Lebron and Mo, is nothing. Nothing. I am not minimizing their chances of success, I picked them preseason to win it all, and I am more confident in that pick, 90 games later, than I was then. However, I cannot believe how little Lebron's teammates can offer. I am going to pick one, Delonte West, to use as an example.

In the first 5 minutes of the game, Lebron was choosing to have him be the benefactor of double teams, he hit wide open 3's and unchallenged layups in the first half. The fact that Lebron is on your team means that the measurement basketball media/press has for your success becomes, "can you hit open shots."

Right now, the measurement for a guy like Pau Gasol is so vastly different. There is some actual reasonable critique of his game, same with someone like Pierce, or Allen. For Delonte West, if he hits wide open 3's, he is a success. If he cannot create anything by himself offensively, which he cannot, it's viewed as a zero sum aspect. No biggie. You can't apply that kind of measurement to anyone on the Nuggets, for example.

Orlando, as a unit: This is a very goofy, strange, hard to figure out team. I watched them this season, and in the "real" season for 7 games against Boston, I actually like the makeup of their roster, there are a lot of cool things on that team.

Gortat is someone I think Boston needs to sign, no question about it. He can be Perkins' sub all season long, he has upside - he is the opposite of Varejao, I firmly believe Gortat loves being a 2nd string player, loves that identity, and loves what that role will bring him in his career. He hasn't been a factor tonight, but that doesn't change my opinion of the man.

Stan Van Gundy is more than a riot to me. He is hilariously awesome, the media doesn't know what to do with him, his players clearly have no idea what to think when he talks, but I think this guy is painted as a joke mostly because he looks like Super Mario, and dresses like Pauly Walnuts. You KNOW he has a windbreaker pant/long sleeve top suit he got at Marshalls in his home closet, right? You know that, and I do too.

Howard is amazingly bad at offense sometimes, but the threat of an alley-oop seems to be so real with him, its like Coffee Black doing it for the first time in Semi-Pro, nobody has any idea how to stop it when it grows effective.

And the 3 point shot for Orlando is one of the most dangerous weapons I have seen in an NBA team in a while - they are stacked with shooters, and they are in this game to start the 4th without that weapon coming to life yet. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why the Celtics didn't guard against the 3 more effectively. It is like the team, the league, the coaches, etc, are happier to give up open 3's than 1/2 open dunks...

Lebron James
It is possible that David Archuletta's Crush was written for my feelings about Lebron. I have elevated Jordan to a level in my mind that I literally thought was safe. I didn't ever even consider Tom Brady, as an example, being in Jordan's class. But Lebron, with 0 rings, 1 Finals appearance, a loss in the 2nd round of the Playoffs last year, and with an awkward walking stride, he has put himself there.

I know that's crazy, and insane, and I know he needs rings to be in that class, but I just feel like its completely inevitable. Its not like it may happen, it will happen.

Coaches: I am starting to think NBA coaches are the biggest optimists in the world. They always believe in their guys, always. Its really awe-inspiring. I don't think Van Gundy, in hearing the short audio snippets, and seeing the way he reacted to everything going on, ever doubted the team.

(I am pausing with 9:35 left in the 4th, I'll post more below for the last 9+ minutes)

I am back, quickly. Being exposed to TNT's commercials for Raising the Bar, Meet the Browns, The Closer, Hawthorne, and anything else that TNT claims to be the greatest television show of all time, is the television viewer's equivalent of water-boarding.

Also, how did Mike Brown win Coach of the Year? HOW!? I cannot imagine anything more horrifying than that. The success of this team clearly cannot be attributed to anything other than LJ, can it?! It can't. It just can't.

The Value of Mo Williams:
Immeasurable. I wrote to friends on 10/28/08, regarding Wiliams, "The Mo Williams addition by Cleveland is so enormous. With Delonte West battling his mental and physical demons, a guy like Williams to come in and turn that team into a real basketball squad is something I am terrified of."

He hit a monstrous 3 pointer tonight with about 2 minutes left, he played fantastic D on Courtney Lee on the last few possessions.

I cannot express my happiness with the Varejao foul on Turkoglu called late in the game. And beyond that, watching Lewis hit that 3 right in his stupid mug. Ugh, its a wonderful feeling. It's like its Christmas, except for presents, I got to go into that Asshole's house and eat the cookies he left for Santa, then steal all the gifts his parents wrapped for him. He is a loser, and loser's lose.

Delonte hits a wide open 3 late in the game. Doug Collins talked about mental toughness under pressure, and I don't think he is analyzing it the right way. Lebron is the only person battling pressure here, I think. He has Jerry West anointing him as "The One", and the whole league wants to see it be so...and he is dead tired in the 4th, and he is forced to be PG for the team b/c West and Williams cannot do it. And he is forced to drive to the bucket every time and make the right decision.

See above...Delonte West is a success, and "mentally tough" because he can drain a wide open 3. I need a Lebron in my life...


FINAL SCORE, 107-106
This game was a 10, no question. It was perfect. I cannot believe the Magic came back to win this. I really can't. It says NOTHING to me for the entire 7 game series, I just don't know how a team like Cleveland, after their 39-2 home court season, plus 8-0 in the playoffs with zero challenges the first 2 rounds...how does this happen?

I am stunned, and awed. By both the final score, and the sheer size of Lebron's Quad Cramp. It challenges Tony Delk's 1996 Final 4 Cramp for UK v. Umass. Still in 2nd, but challenges it.

2 comments:

Justin said...

Verejao...Right on. I am afraid that he is going to be lumped in with Noah as the same type of player when it really couldn't be further from the truth.

Delonte...Again, right on. I'm sick of hearing how Cleveland has weapons because Delonte has stepped up. Gabe Pruitt could do what he does just as well and not be half as ugly doing it.

This team is 90% LeBron, 10% Williams and a whole bunch of nothing from everyone else. And even though the everyone else is so unlikeable, I'm rooting for them. Hard.

Unknown said...

I'm rooting for them too, because I want my preseason prediction to be right.