Who You Creepin'?

Thursday, March 25, 2010

...quick NBA Eastern Conference Playoff Prediction...

ROUND ONE:
1. Cleveland
8. Toronto
> for the second year in a row, cleveland will sweep its round 1 opponent. I have zero doubt in my mind on that.

4. Atlanta
5. Milwaukee
> This is an incredibly intriguing matchup series. The Bucks are a formidable home team, winning 8 in a row before losing last night for no good reason to the 76ers...
They are a unique story, but at this point I have trouble thinking Atlanta will have any issues dispatching them quickly. I think it'll be a 4-1 series, but good for the Bucks.

3. Boston
6. Charlotte
> Literally the 1 team in the E. Conference playoffs that I think will give the C's zero trouble. However, Raymond Felton annoys the Celtics to no end - he is someone they should go and get, b/c someday he will make us pay big time. I don't think he'll alter a series, but he just brings his A game to the c's every night. 4-1 or 4-2 Boston.

2. Orlando
7. Miami
> I am sorta tired of Miami. I want Wade to go elsewhere and let this franchise die in peace. Their title was so blah, the Shaq era was weird, there's just something about their shiny uniforms that bothers me. Wade is awesome, but he won't be able to overcome the Magic all alone. Jermaine O'Neal is destined to disappoint anyone who roots for them. I think Wade can alter 1 game, at the most. Magic 4-1

ROUND TWO:
1. Cleveland
4. Atlanta
> An upset possible here? No. It was about this time last year when I went into full on "THIS IS LEBRON'S TIME!" mode, and I don't have the energy to shout it again. Do I still feel that way? Yes, 100%. Do I have the energy? No. I do know that Varajao, someone who I couldn't stand last year, will give the mentally inadequate Hawks team fits. I predict 1-2 techs per game from the Hawks coming directly as a result of Andy V. actions. The Hawks can't handle this stacked Cavs roster. Cleveland in 5.

2. Orlando
3. Boston
> The highlight of the entire tournament here, I think. Listen, I'm not a homer, I don't want to be one, the concept of "sports atheism" is something I am really intrigued by and I need to give it more thought. But let me say this, I think Boston can pull this off in 7 grueling games. Perkins and Rasheed (yes, Rasheed) are the only big man tandem in all of basketball who I think can handle (yes, handle) Dwight Howard. The supporting cast in Orlando is not as good as last year, and don't give me Vince this or Vince that. Rajon Rondo is the key - who the heck knows how he'll play in Rounds 1 & 2, but he can potentially exploit his matchup to a degree we haven't seen since Tony Parker made the Gibson/Snow tandem in Cleveland in '07 look like buffoons. I don't think Jameer is where he used to be, and they are easing him back Rondo is on another level at this point. Celtics in 7. If Rondo is a headcase in Round 1, I predict an easy 5 gamer for Orlando. All hinges on #9.

CONFERENCE FINALS:
1. Cleveland
3. Boston
I have no idea which Cleveland team will show up. I can guarantee you this: by the time this series rolls around, we will all be 100% convinced that Cleveland will win it, easily. Kinda like how we were convinced they'd beat Orlando in 5 or 6, instead they disappeared in the Conf. Finals last year and Dwight & Co. had a field day, winning in 6 awesome games and going to the finals. Orlando was a bad 4th quarter away from a 4-1 series win over Cleveland...how can that be?

The matchups tell you Cleveland is better - and they are. But I still don't get why the national press (TNT, ESPN, ABC) refuses to recognize that Mike Brown has no clue what he is doing, other than his impeccable taste in eyeglass frames.

Boston can win this series if Doc is on his A game, and the team wins at home. Win at home. Here is the matrix for how Boston wins this series:
1. Cleveland's only loss in the Atlanta series will be Mike Brown's fault
2. Boston wins both home games v. Charlotte, and Rondo plays smart against Felton
3. Boston may lose 1 game in Boston v. Orlando, but that is all. If they manage to lose more than 1, but still win the series, they have no shot v. Cleveland

If those 3 things happen, I predict Boston in 7. If one of those 3 things doesn't happen - OR - if Rondo is a psycho like last year v. Chicago in Round 1, I predict the Cavs in 5 or 6 ...

Keep in mind, if the Rondo is a psycho drama plays out, I predict it'll be Cleveland V. Orlando and Cleveland will prevail easily, maybe in 5.

Tomorrow or tonight I'll put together some W. Conference stuff...I'll also make amendments once the seeds are finalized.

2 comments:

Patrick Bugbee said...

You haven't taken into account the fact that Boston had been playing apathetic basketball up until just recently. Lebron was right when said that they looked bored. I was at the wonderful Nets game - and after watching them against Denver last night...well, they're two different teams. I'm not sure it changes anything in your predictions, but they've started to care - and that bodes well for their chances.

Oh, and one other thing - Rasheed is shooting something like 27% from 3, settling for fade aways, and just looking old. I'm very curious what "Playoff Rasheed" looks like. I hope it's different than what we've been watching.

Unknown said...

nice points argo. I firmly believe that Wallace will continue to be an offensive liability, but I do think playoff wallace will take pride in being extremely useful in helping to spell perk and bang up against Dwight, defensively.